Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My Super Improvers' Wall is Up!

I am SO excited! I've got my Super Improvers' Wall up and ready to go for next school year.

I've been seeing some really cute themes applied to the walls and had a creative block for a while trying to come up with something to go with my camping theme. But, here it is...and I LOVE it!


As you can see, I will be using tents for my name cards. I spent over an hour punching out 24 tents in 10 colors~
but aren't they adorable?

As for my levels, I decided to go for a road trip kind of theme. Novice campers are not going to jump right in, they have to get their toes wet first! Sooooo...

1. White-picnic
2. Gray-campfire
3. Tan-Greenway hike (local park)
4. Yellow-backyard camping
5. Orange-Harrison Bay State Park (20 min. away)
6. Green-Cherokee National Forest
7. Lt. Blue-Great Smoky Mtns. National Park
8. Blue-Grand Canyon National Park
9. Red-Yosemite National Park
10. Black-Yellowstone National Park (the 1st National Park!)

I plan on creating a map with each destination on it. I'll even throw in some facts about each location. I'm getting excited about it!

Now, I've already had a forum post about the SIW...but for those of you that are NOT Wibbeteers, I'll give a brief explanation.

The Super Improvers' Wall is a motivating behavioral modification tool! It rewards students for making improvements in ANY area (yes, ANY!). If little Johnny finally gets his desk cleared off-give him a star. If Susie does not complain for a whole day-give her a star. Any improvements you see and want your kiddos to be proud about-give a star for it.

When a student gets 10 stars on their card, they get to move up to the next color level! (Hey, is that it? No stickers or treasure box???) Exactly!

I have never used the SIW, but have seen marvelous posts by other Whole Brain Teachers that say it is pure teacher HEAVEN!
Problem students magically become motivated to earn those stars and move up the levels!

My fear~
consistently giving out those stars! I have to really be on my toes.
Anyone else have a SIW and want to share?

Want to learn more about this amazing system?
Find out at the WBT site. It's FREE!




32 comments:

  1. I read about the Super Improver's Wall yesterday & it's very interesting. Your wall came out adorable!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa these are amazing! Your attention to detail is awesome, your classroom is probably so perfect.

    I don't have my own classroom (I'm still student teaching) so I don't have my own SIW to share. In regards to your fears, however, since each student is an individual on the SIW have you thought of having an organizer of some type that lists each students specific goals? Maybe a clipboard of some type? That way if you are tempted to give out stars you can quickly check the clipboard, see if it is a true improvement on their goal and then award stars if necessary?

    I know I would probably need to do something like this because I can see myself getting confused with awarding stars for something like using "indoor voices" for one student and then remembering to "tie their shoes" for another student.

    Miss L (WBT Blog Bug)
    Miss L's Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss L. A clipboard form is a good idea. I was thinking about doing something like that. It can have goals for each student also, like you mentioned. I just don't want it to be too time consuming or it won't get used! I'll have to come up with something simple.

      Delete
  3. Melissa,
    I love your SIW! I'm doing a super hero theme and am still working out my level labels. I'm blocked! I've had some suggestions so if you have any I'd really appreciate them.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I can imagine a super hero theme would be hard to come up with. BUT I just had a brainstorm...what about each level being a piece of their costume that they get to build as the year goes on?? Just thinking out loud!! Good luck.

      Delete
  4. Melissa, your wall is PERFECT for your theme! The power of that wall in a classroom is amazing! I cannot imagine my classroom without one!! Your room is looking good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    OMG your SIW is absolutely AMAZING!!! I am giving you a 14 finger woooooooo with a lightning sizzle....WOOOOOOOOOO, boop, boop, boop, boop, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! I am for the first time completely green with envy!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (blush) thanks so much, Farrah. That means a lot!

      Delete
  6. I'll hop over and check it out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Melissa, I love it. I did camping for the last two years and that is so blessed cute! Your students are going to absolutely love it!

    This is a new venture for me as well. Like you, I hope I can be consistent throughout the school year!

    10 finger Wooooooo to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Are you keeping your camping theme? So far I haven't gotten tired of it! This will be my 9th year doing it. Love it! Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Melissa, Is your SIW board in addition to your happy camper board or is it replacing it? If it is replacing it I see your rewarding those improving what are you doing for those that are just not making good choices that day?

    I have loved your ideas even before your blogging days when I used to follow your website. Thanks for your continued sharing.
    Pauline
    firstgradebythesea@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually changing up my happy camper board a bit and using the practice cards, etc. I have adapted it to a clip chart that will be easier to manage. There is a brief post about it on here. I have it in my TpT store.

      Thanks so much for the kind words and being a loyal follower!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this! Amazing! I'll also be looking over at your TpT place! Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time hearing about this! I just found your blog on PT! I am your newest follower. I just started my blog. Stop by my blog when you get a chance.
    Crystal
    Ms Jones Junction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Crystal! WBT has changed the way I teach! I love it. Watch some videos on YouTube. That's how I got started.

      Delete
  11. I don't know if you are familiar with School Girl Style or not but I saw her new classroom theme and I immediately knew I had to share with you :) I know your camping theme is pretty established already but maybe you'll find some new ideas too
    http://www.schoolgirlstyle.com/2012/07/introducingcamp-learn-a-lot/

    Miss L (WBT Blog Bug)
    Miss L's Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Melissa! I just found your blog through a pin of this post on Pinterest! I was searching for SIW's because I am hoping to have one for the first time this year. I love your themed wall and am glad I found your blog! I am your newest follower!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I am excited to start using the SIW!

      Delete
  13. Melissa,
    Thanks for the great inspiration! I myself will be using the SIW for the first time this coming year and I am racking my brain to come up with ideas for my levels. I am now your newest follower.
    Think all night…..Teach all day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I gave you the Liebster award! Come on over and claim your award! http://justaprimarygirl.blogspot.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm also doing a camping theme in my classroom and trying wbt for the first time. Do you have your headings somewhere on here to download? I've been looking at different walls all morning, but I love how your wall goes along with the camping theme.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your SIW. So you are keeping your clip chart system, too? I had the clip chart last year and found that parents and kids were obsessed with where they ended up each day. I was looking for something different, but don't know if this could be my only management tool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way you incorporated your camping theme on your SIW! I have a Star Wars themed SIW, myself and the kids LOVE it! A great way to focus on the strengths and winnings of every student in all areas. I'm going to have to create a sign like yours, explaining why our room may seem a bit "different" for visitors. Thanks for a great blog with lots of amazing info!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...